Thursday 8 October 2015

A Family Collection: The Giacometti Brothers


I have no interest in collecting any one group of anything. Or, maybe secretaries. Yes, I do seem to buy an odd number of those.


But when it comes to art I do not have a preference for any one artist, so expressed, that I would collect his work. But last winter I went to the Brussels Affordable Art Fair  and while walking around un-stimulated and bored out of my mind  I can remember thinking that there seems to be a lot of Giacometti inspiration or knock-off--- however you may choose to think of it.





The Giacometti family simply had art flowing through their veins. These Swiss brothers and their father were all artists and designers. Sculpture, paintings, furniture, rugs,buildings. There were three Giacometti brothers: Alberto, the oldest who was famed for L'Homme Qui Marche and other bronze sculptures; Diego, sculptor and furniture designer, famed for his L'Autruche and patinaed bronze furniture; and Bruno, the architect.





I think one collection worthy of possession would be works of the Giacometti brothers. Oh, to dream.





Alberto and Diego were really the artists of the family and it is their work that draws mass appeal and as such, it is their work/style that is copied. The styles are so similar you can hardly tell which brother produced what. It makes sense that one would collect both brothers' works.

No comments:

Post a Comment