Thursday 29 October 2015

Table Talk: Curious Silverware

My husband and I were invited to a friend's for dinner. Seated around the table were a mix of nationalities, mostly European. The usual polite pleasantries were exchanged ("yes, there was hardly any summer", "I hope it isn't a terribly gray winter", "how about that David Cameron calling the refugees 'swarms of people'...". That last met with dead silence). Isn't it true that there can be awkward little conversation lulls that make everyone totally self-conscious when you dine out? What is appropriate dinner conversation with hot button issues all over the media?  I have no solution for that, but I imagine dinner would be a lot more talkative with a few functional curiosities brought to the table.
 
To be honest, when I go to the flea sometimes I look at things and I am simply dumbfounded because I have no idea what I am looking at. So I bring you help in identifying a few curiosities and some inspiration for what to look for when you go antique hunting.
 
All sterling silver, of course: 1. A strawberry grabber- yes, grabber. 2. A dinner bell, obnoxious for certain, but think of the tickle you'd get from ringing it every time you want the Mister/Missus to attend to you. 3. A salt cellar which looks like it belongs on a Catholic altar; 4. A cheese scoop; 5. A crumb knife which can have no justification for its pretentiousness; 6. a 5 piece flatware set; 7. a tea caddy; 8. the cutest invention-- the cow creamer; and 9. an egg cup.
 
What will you hunt for this Fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment