Wednesday 21 October 2015

Contemporary Art: Collage

Tavarua - KIFARU - Collage
Tavarua- Kifaru Collage

"The Hunters and the Hunted"
Tavarua- The Hunters and the Huntedn Collage
 
It cannot be a secret to any of my friends that I love African Art. Or at least, art inspired by the Continent or produced by artists from the Continent. Above, are collages I found on the Traveller's blog. I think the artist goes by Tavarua. Quite a well-traveled gentleman with an air of mystery, is how I think of the blogger. Mystery because you know so little about him, except his love for travel and appreciation of other cultures and the aesthetic eye with which he views everything. Check out his blog to view more of his collages.
 
Then I came to Vitshois Bondo's work. I know of Bondo's work because I am a longtime follower of Nomad Gallery's preferred artists. I am particularly intrigued by this installation. What do you think is happening there? Obviously, the artist is particularly fond of incorporating body parts into his work. Check out two images of his collages below. 

 Chaotic World, Vitshois Bondo
 
 
Emotion II, Vitshois Bondo

I am used to collages that are deliberately spontaneous compositions-- as in, usually the artist is intent on a chance arrival at the finished product.  But when I look at these two artists' works I feel like they sat down to paint a picture using the techniques of a collagist, no happenstance involved.
 
What ever the processes, I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment