Thursday 12 November 2015

I Got a Few Fall Necessities


These town houses in Brussels, built a hundred plus years ago, stink---literally. Most of the houses are attached or semi-detached. So a lot of damp air gets trapped between the houses. The electric ventilation and extraction systems were non-existent when they were building them and unless you factor ventilation and electric extractors into your housing renovation plan your house will smell musty and moldy in the winter months-- mainly because you don't want to open the windows in the winter (and also if you have a dog named Fred). So every winter I must have some homemade potpourri hanging about in sachets under my sofa cushions, in baskets beneath my beds and along my stairway and also in trays in my bathrooms and kitchen.
 
1. Scented Air: You can see how to make your own cinnamon scented pine cones here and cinnamon stick, star anise potpourri here.
 
2. Flower Colour: I also need fall flowers, mainly for the colours. Lillies smell like a funeral parlour according to my husband, but I love when they are mingled among some berries. And I also bought some thistle at the market this week. Here is a lovely guide for a bouquet for your home.
 
3. Miniature Pumpkins: And I absolutely must have miniature pumpkins. I use them for roasted pumpkin soup, pumpkin cheesecake and to liven up my front yard together with some Fall perennials.
 
4. A Fall Wreath: I also use a pumpkin for the wreath on my door. That last picture of the wreath is mine. I put on my best Martha Stewart and hung it last weekend in preparation for giving a warm reception to the little sugar monsters on Halloween.

Tell me, what must you absolutely have during the Fall months?

Yes, absolutely, you can share my pumpkin and spice love with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment