Tuesday 10 November 2015

5 Ways to Reinvigorate Old Furniture

Obviously I love old, antiques, brocante and vintage furniture. What I do get fascinated by is the way we live today with things from the past. How do we transform them, re-purpose them, dress them up, or simply find use for them, so they sit comfortably with our contemporary, neo-traditional or transitional décor?  I've brought you some interesting vantage points, hoping to help you gather inspiration for old furniture.
 
1. Multipurpose dining room. I have said this before: breakfronts are not outdated and can still find a place in your home. I love that the one below, from Windsor House Antiques, has been done up to showcase a leather-bound book collection, and also china. But the piece of furniture would work just as well in a home library.



From Windsor House Antiques

2.Upholstering coffee table tops. I cannot tell you how many times I have been to the flea market and I see glass top coffee tables with ornate carvings but with the glass shattered. The tables usually go for nothing because of the broken glass. I love Robert Couturier's upholstered and ornately carved coffee table. Definitely one to try.



3. Transform a walled bookcase with  Columns. I also do see a lot of columns in the antique and brocante stores at Rue Haute in Brussels. What I do hate is the random addition of them to the middle of a room for no apparent reason other than to suggest that "I know and bought a valuable piece of an old building". But I do like the way this is used by Bunny Williams. It definitely upgrades a simple "gyproc' built-in bookshelf.


4. Paint and add a piece of marble to a pair of Old Wooden Brackets. Just like the columns, old wooden brackets are always hanging about the brocante shops. You will find a bunch in Troc here in Brussels, for example. I would use this in a foyer, stairway, bathroom, dining room or kitchen.

 
By Designer Margot Austin
 
5Re-frame black and whites in gilt frames. You can trip over gilt frames at the flea because they are so plentiful. But also, sometimes you find not just empty frames, but frames with ruined art or art that simply does not appeal. Do not walk by. Buy the old art for the frame or the empty frame and make use of it. I love the way this golden gilt frame holds the black and white of Elizabeth Taylor. The juxtaposition makes for a nice visual effect. You can add your own family's old black and whites or find one of a favourite old movie star.
 
 
By Deborah Buck
 
If you have other ideas you can send them to me. Also, if you found the tips useful, please share the post with your friends.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment