Friday 14 August 2015

COME THE VINTAGE

I was shopping around for Fall/Winter 2015-2016 clothes and other gear and I found myself somewhere between distress and dismay. I cannot recall a time when the clothes looked more ill-fitting, the fabric cheaper and the stitching more sub-par. I cannot claim to be able to afford high-end everything but I like a good coat, and at least three well-made sweaters and a sturdy pair of boots. But even the stitching on my Ralph Lauren sweaters are unraveling after one wear and the buttons on my blouses and shirts from JCREW come away between my fingers while I am doing them up. I just feel like everyone's manufacturing on the cheap and duping us consumers.



But then I look at shirts my aunts have left over from the 60s and 70s and I think that everything, and I mean everything (even things that were bought on the cheap back then) was made well and made to last. Should we all be vintage shopping this Fall---especially in light of the 70s kick the designers are forcing on us?

I popped over to 1stDibs and La Double J to look at what they have. The thing is, vintage stuff costs even more than present day high end swag. What is a person to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment