Wednesday 16 November 2016

DIY: Tile Paint



Not a single shop sells tile paint in Lithuania. Basically, the big home improvement stores like  Ermitazas and Senukai do not sell tile paint; neither do the art supply shops. I think it's because renters in Lithuania do not get into the business of DIYing their landlord's home. But it was critical to figure something out because I am not the one to be living with those not-quite-italian-restaurant-maybe-German-kitch-or-Pennsylvania-Dutch-ugly-kitchen-tiles. So I decided that I needed to paint the kitchen tiles. They are the ones you see on the wall in the kitchen. I wanted white tile paint and I was not trying to order it from the U.K. So I set about figuring out what the composition of tile paint could possibly be. I figured that exterior concrete paint would drive me insane because of the fumes that it would give off during application. But then I realised that even if I bought tile paint there may be fumes too. So I went with glossy metal/wood paint in white. I used a primer coat first to give the paint something to adhere to. For sure it was smelly but the smell wears off once the paint is dry. Result below (I am not the greatest with a SMART phone camera).







The cream/beige,orange, gray, kitchyness has gone and is replaced by sedate white. (Yeah, I removed the cupboards too and am replacing them with shelves).  I'll let you know how the paint stands up to hot water splashes and stove/grease cleaner.  So there you have it: if you cannot access tile paint use a very good quality primer followed by metal or wood paint.



Next stop: the ugly yellow tiles in the bathroom. As I mentioned before: I am not the one.


No comments:

Post a Comment