Friday 6 May 2016

The Alternative Emerald: Malachite


Emeralds are super expensive. When I lived in Barbados I used to go to the Colombian Emeralds store on Broad Street to sigh dramatically over the emerald jewellery. I am not likely to own a significant piece of emerald jewellery soon but I love the shimmery and dense green colours of this precious gemstone when it is set against my skin. On my trip to Southern Africa in April I decided that I could let go of my emerald dreams and live some malachite reality instead. I bought six malachite bangles at Green Market Square in Cape Town. Malachite is a semi-precious gemstone very similar in colour to emeralds and I am sure most of you have seen it incorporated into design.
 
 
Image from Simplified Bee
 
You'll run out to get some malachite when you hear that it brings wealth, peace, prosperity and abundance, healing, serenity and calm.
 
 
 
1stDibs

 
Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia
 
Malachite is a Russian favourite. The country has huge deposits of the stuff.
 


 
 
I don't feel the colour is soothing when incorporated in interior décor. I think it's lively and vibrant and I could see how faux treatments like digitally printed malachite slabs are now the rage in Italian productions.  Malachite is also toxic when wet so better go far the digitally printed clay slabs in your bathroom. I also love the wallpaper prints too.

No comments:

Post a Comment