Friday 20 May 2016

Metropolitan Home Magazine


So the shelter magazine Metropolitan Home is back. It died at the time the major recession hit, and blogs became a major deal, and large advertising revenue streams dried up for many publications. I liked Metropolitan Home. I was a regular reader and I must say, I have missed this magazine. Now, the thing is, I think I may have missed ragging on it more than anything else. I loved-hated the magazine. I loved the edgy avant-garde nature of the old magazine but I also hated austere-chic; and so I hated when the magazine did spaces that were too modern with nothing to soften it up. Actually, the styling of some of the spaces was problematic because they made the homes look like only the furniture lived there. I also hated when there wasn't anything relatable in the magazine. Like, I do want to see the homes of the rich and famous and I do want to see pricey furniture but there has to be something aspirational or even relatable about the spreads and they were just too out of touch and out of reach.
 
So now that it's in print again I will be buying it to see whether they have come back with a difference.
 



 

Anyhow, the new magazine looks like it will have a softer edge to the sleek, modern flare. These are some images from their Instagram.

Images: My Old Desktop;  Metropolitan Home Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment