Thursday 26 May 2016

10 Things to Gift in Wedding Season



Cute, funny, inspiring wedding gifts.  Are we still getting people blenders as wedding gifts? I have to go to the wedding of a friend in August and I am just wondering if we've evolved beyond the pot handlers, mixing bowls and linen napkins as wedding gifts. I mean, these days couples are living together before they get married (as we Jamaicans say "nuh buy puss inna bag..." and all that talk) and they have accumulated most, if not all of the household items they need. So I can't see anyone needing me to buy them kitchenware in this day and age. So what can I give as a wedding gift? I think something cheeky, memorable and lasting. Something that the couple can enjoy together. Something they would fight over in the divorce, is what I am saying. 
 
Here's what I'd get as a wedding gift these days:
 
1. A painting or other original artwork may expand the couples cultural knowledge--especially if the painting is from a foreign artist like Taiwanese artist Chih-Hung Kuo
 
2. A gift of laughter: definitely give a boxed set of a really great, old sitcom like Are You Being Served or Frasier or All in the Family or the Facts of Life
 
3. A hand-made Indian or Berber rug. I'd fight over this in the divorce for sure.
 
4. A set of engraved silver cheese servers is traditional and would encourage the couple to buy more cheese, if nothing else.
 
5. Specialty entertainment (every marriage needs a little couples therapy and I like this version..)
 
6. A Shakespeare Collection is a good reminder to the couple to start a personal library.
 
7. A chess set. Games night at home is not over-rated or nerdy. It's always good to have a stack of games at the bottom of your bookshelf so you can entertain on a winter Wednesday.
 
8. A gift card to Ikea (why the hell not..?). It may seem lowbrow but your friends will be totally grateful for such a practical gift.
 
 
10. Monogrammed umbrellas (can't tell you how many times people have come to my house, borrowed my umbrella and forgot the address; can't tell you how many times I've done the same to others...)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment