Thursday 9 February 2017

Crochet is Back


 If you are wondering what to wear this spring/summer then look no further than your 70s closet or your mother's 70's closet. Crochet and the 70s will haunt us all spring and summer. Balmain is all over it. I never thought that crochet could look fierce but Balmain has achieved it.




Some of it, like this Jamaican flag inspired dress (above) and Tommy Hilfiger's 2016 Spring ready-to-wear rip-off of the rastafarian colours and casual dress (below) are just pure cultural appropriation, if you ask me, or maybe some other kind of infringement... someone call an IP lawyer...the bloody cheek!

 And I would not be paying hundreds of dollars for that crochet vest. My uncles wore those every single day when I was growing up and they never cost more than USD $5. And I know for a fact a peanut vendor at the stoplight at Oxford Road in Kingston will be wearing the above outfit. I am very concerned: sure I could find some now if I went to East Queen Street or Bedford Lane in Kingston. Honestly, the cheek of it: taking the Rasta man's everyday wear and  making it into unaffordable high fashion.


 Even Missoni, Monsoo and Oscar de la Renta hopped on the trend in the last season or two




Gonna get out my crochet needle and see if I can knot up a swimsuit for summer.


P.S: He wears it the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment