Friday 25 September 2015

Window Shopping: European Interior Decor Shops

I rarely regret moving to Belgium. Except, I miss a weekly "no appointment needed" mani-pedi from my corner manicurist. And the sun. I miss customer service. And I do miss American consumerism. Scandalous! Some people think it is a negative and I don't think it is. I think it drives innovation. And I think it makes for the growth of small businesses. I say this because I simply miss how great the shopping is in the U.S (good price and variety). I wondered whether I could find online businesses with great design, style and function in the UK and here on the Continent. I went on the hunt and I have become adept at window shopping. I share my finds with you.

 
 
This sideboard from Portobello Street works as a nursery addition because it's high enough to change a diaper and great for storing diapers, ointments and things. The wallpaper (above and below is from Studio Ditte in the Netherlands)
 

 
 It would be fun to update a pantry or kitchen shelf with a bit of decorative whimsy: the wallpaper would go nicely on a pantry wall or would be lovely as the lining in a kitchen cupboard. The ice cream bowls are from Anthropology; the chameleon platter is from the UK's Lou Rota; the cutlery from Seletti in Italy; and the dishcloth is from the South of France and is available at Ensoleilladesas--all would put the quirk in entertaining.  
  
 
  
Piero Fornasetti  channeled his obsession with Lina Cavalieri, the Italian opera singer, into his designs. Now his dishes are on walls all over the design world and the face of Cavalieri is now on  Fornasetti lamps, furniture, scented candle jars and carpets.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment