Monday 14 September 2015

Duck and Rice and London Bohemia: Fusion Decor

I bring you two things that I love about Elle Decoration this month. Usually, I can give this shelter magazine a miss because it has too much contemporary design for my taste. But whenever they add a bit of eclecticism then I dive right in. This month on their website they did a feature on Duck and Rice, a Soho restaurant, done up with  a mash-up vibe of a Victorian pub and a Chinese restaurant. I love it. The second piece I love is a spread in their magazine on Sera Hersham-Loftus' London home.

 
The building, above, is very Art Deco, no?

autoban duck and rice chinese restaurant soho london alan yau designboom


autoban duck and rice chinese restaurant soho london alan yau designboom

A kind of chinoiserie meets art deco industrial design. The Duck and Rice interior is the work of the Istanbul-based design firm Autoban. Explains the tiles on the wall.

autoban duck and rice chinese restaurant soho london alan yau designboom



So, organic beer to start, with some boiled salted peanuts, while I wait on my duck rolls. Where's the Victorian in that?  The Venison Puff and the pleated red lampshade, perhaps.

autoban duck and rice chinese restaurant soho london alan yau designboom
 
After all this serious design I did not expect the hip-hipsterness of their website


And now for Sera's space. I love plants in my home. Plants, like books and framed family photos, bring light and life to a room/home. But I do not have a green thumb. I have come to accept that I must go to the Midi Market every six months to replace my plants. I love Sera's indoor use of what would traditionally pass as outdoor plant pots.


 
That kitchen! It is an appropriate solution for a lot of  Brussels homes. Small, functional, neo-traditional and not Ikea! I painted the walls of the kitchen in my first Brussels apartment in chalkboard black. My landlord's mother had conniptions. I'll have to post some pictures of that kitchen one day.


 
I love the decanters on the table below. I am sure this was done by the stylist for the photo shoot. But how fabulous are you if you have your fruits kept on a silver tray and crystal decanters of wine, sherry or port at the ready. Without a drop of snark: how totally grown-up! I have my empty decanters hidden away in a  Chinese-style bar armoire in my library/den. But Sera's way is a perfectly stylish and yet unpretentious way of living with the elegant things one owns.


I went looking for more and found this bedroom done for Sadie Frost (the ex-wife of Jude Law).
 
Sera is a London-based interior decorator with a very quirky aesthetic: love of Bohemian, sensuous, glamorous and decadent spaces, with lots of plant life. I love it but would need it in small doses. Décor style: Seductive boudoir?
 
Images of Sera's apartment from October's issue of Elle Decoration Magazine
Images of Duck and Rice from  Elle Decoration and Design Boom

No comments:

Post a Comment