Wednesday 16 September 2015

Of Richard III and Disinfected Living Spaces



This is a new Cathedra designed by Fracesco Draisci and Rosalba Napolitano. The Cathedra was commissioned as part of the effort to create honour and ceremony around the reinterment  of the remains of King Richard III. I don't love the chair. If I saw a Bishop sitting here in his ceremonial garments I would be confused, I think. Also, the posterior seating area looks a bit stingy. I love Leicester Cathedral and I wondered how the geometrics, scale and loud colours of the Cathedra would fit with the ornamental and sacred surroundings. I reserve judgment until I have had an up close view. O.K., maybe just one word for the moment: Bombastic?
 
 But I became curious about Draisci's work as an architect and designer. Some of his work, below. 
 



 I die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
 You know what is weird, a lot of this kind of austere, disinfected-hospital design is masquerading around Brussels as interior design. I cannot do it. I do not see it. And I do not care. I suppose this is what they call the white-cube aesthetic.
 
 
Say something nice: beautiful, peaceful, zen-like garden. After the death-by-disinfectant they could sprinkle my ashes in this lovely garden.

   
 Go here to see more of Draisci's work.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment