Monday 4 January 2016

The New Year Fugue

Gah! It's going to be a hard week mentally. I am trying to climb out of the fog. Are you there? It's that after-holiday fugue that is getting to me--lazy, drowsy, food depression. But I am trying to climb out of it. I found some things that fascinate and I found somethings that I take pleasure in laughing at.
 
Let's start with the mean me first: What in hip-hipsterness is happening here? I am not likely to ever be drawn to the hipster set with their pinky (signet ???) rings and overly groomed beards. So sue me. I am laughing at this spread put on by JCREW. Cannot wait for this trend to be dead and buried!




Next: I am fascinated by Yves Behar this week. Behar spearheads Fuse Project which is a design firm with a mix of contemporary-looking/new-age design products from technology-lifestyle gadgets to mundane furniture. I don't like any of it, honestly. It's too Scandinavian-austere and Swiss-boring for me. But I love the energy portrayed in his Instagram.

But the Fuse Project's stuff gathers appeal, you know---even if I think a lot of it is basic. Where are we on the value of talent and hard work in a world where product appeal depends on how much likes and follows you can get on social network or who your friends are? How much of design-success is based on luck and access and how much on talent? I like some of the designs on Fuse Project and others just seem pointless to me.


Listen,  I want to tell you that I could be a millionaire if I had the money. I am sitting here reading people's new year's resolutions and am wondering where to focus my efforts. Does unobtrusive hard work matter in 2016 and going forward? Well, maybe never mind. Am gonna climb back into pajamas and bed. Am on what I call work-vacation this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment