Tuesday 13 December 2016

Re-Purposing Furniture



Do you remember this painting in the gilt frame? And me saying I was going to take the old painting out and re-purpose the gilt frame? Well, I did. When I went to the framer (Paveisklų rėminimas-- a little framing shop owned by an artist situated in the old town in Vilnius), the owner was very sceptical about the idea of using an old gilt frame for a modern piece.
 

By the time I returned to get the work, he was sold on the idea. It turned out very well. The art work is an original by a German artist.  I love it.






I also love the view from my bed. This is my vanity/dressing table in my bedroom. This used to be my desk which was in one of the reception rooms back at our house in Brussels. It actually makes for a nicer vanity than a desk, I think. I am certainly having fun re-purposing my furniture.

It's basically the week before Christmas and I am still in the midst of unpacking f urniture and unloading boxes. I am extremely lucky to not have to travel for work again until next month. Although I'll write law all this week, I hope to have some time to finish most of the rooms. It will all have to come together this week because next week I am having my usual Christmas party and I have friends, family and neighbours coming. It would not do to have people tripping over boxes and being stuck by stray nails, screws and pieces of broken glass. Seriously!

I fully intended to decorate one of the pine/Christmas trees in my garden last weekend ( I figure why buy a  Christmas tree when there are a bunch of them rooted in my back yard..) but instead I skipped out on that and spent a lovely weekend with in-laws. So I have a long "to do" list. I didn't even get to the part about the Christmas party menu as yet...can I even find all the ingredients in Vilnius to cook a Jamaican Christmas dinner...?

No comments:

Post a Comment