Friday 9 December 2016

After: An Overdressed Bed








(All Photos From Ralph Lauren Home)

It's been 30 plus years since Ralph Lauren started his home furnishings and interior line, and I have to say that he is the only major designer that captures my attention with his home line. My favourite: his beds.

 I love any Ralph Lauren ad. campaign with a bed and bedding in it. Sumptuous spaces that make you want to dive right into the photo in your pjs and snuggle in. But I quite imagine that it must be a workout to ready the bed at night for sleep. There is so much linen and pillows and things.

So, what do I love about the bedding? The arrangement, the many layers of bedding, the use of different textures (but I bet they are all soft, even the ones that look like burlap...lol), the contrast in patterns and how it all coordinates, instead of being too matchy-matchy.





So, I set about copying Ralph Lauren home's bed-making skills.  Did I make it, or do I need more pillows? My new bed is made in Lithuania. In a city called Klaipeda. I've not been to that city as yet. It's on my list of things to do.  They told me it would be made in three weeks and it came in exactly three weeks. Am very happy with it.

I wasn't in love with the cream/butter colour on the bedroom wall and also the walls were quite dirty. So I decided to paint this room--which is now my bedroom. I knew I wanted a grey but with a hint of blue and I could not choose at the paint store. So I decided to buy a grey colour paint and buy some blue pigment powder at the art supply store. The room not only turned out to be a good colour but it also perfectly matches the shade of the new bed. Serendipity I suppose because I found the bed only after I painted the room...



 The bed comes with a comfy pillow top and the bed itself has a mattress contraption (system) which allows for storage in a little storage box that is housed neatly underneath the mattress. Totally retro. Something my great grandmother may have had. Love it!

Perhaps next week when it's all done I'll take photos of the rest of the bedroom. I am happy it's the weekend.

Now, onto to decorating the Christmas tree in my backyard...

Happy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment