Wednesday 23 March 2016

Quand Les Poules Auront Des Dents



When pigs fly! The French expression literally translates to "when chicken have teeth". But the sentiment is the same: the impossible, unachievable, unbelievable, unrealizable. In other words: when pigs fly! Like, me buying an ostentatious piece of Cartier jewellery or a $500 tea cup from Wedgwood and Bentley.
 
I'm not cheap but there are some things I know I will never buy new. I'll never buy chandeliers new; i'll never buy good bone china new; i'll never buy a bergere new and I'll never buy fine jewellery new. I just won't.  I think you can get wonderful teaware at the antiques market (up to 80 pieces) of bone china can be found at a good brocante in Brussels for less than 500 Euros. And, my 32 piece tea ware which I currently use is from the former Czechoslovakia and  only cost me 30 Euros (I have a good eye). As for good jewellery I head straight to German auction house for that. Plus, I feel sure that in this life, I'll never make enough to warrant my spending 500 Euros on a cup. Let's let the 1% have at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment