Thursday 27 April 2017

The Prettiest Sunset








Living in the forest in Lithuania means that we are cut off from the state-supplied infrastructure services like gas heating, sewer lines, water supply and garabage collection. My water is from an underground source, I have to pay for the sewer truck to come three times per year to extract my sewer and also for the garbage truck to come once per week to collect my trash. As for my heating---it's coal. I have a giant coal machine in the basement and I have to dump two bags of coal into it every other day. The coal gets delivered by the tonne once every two months or so. Well, a month ago the machine quit, and the technician has no clue what's happening with it. So sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. So I was miserably cold for three weeks prior to coming on vacation. We have an electric boiler that supplies hot water and we were using electrical heating fans but these things are not a great substitute for centralised heating. 

I say all the foregoing so that you know just how much we needed this vacation to Croatia. It's so warm and lovely here. It's around 68 F most days and sunny with a lovely cool breeze coming off of the sea. We started out with a two-night stay in Split at a pretty little boutique hotel  called Heritage Hotel which is at the edge of the waterfront promenade in Split--just a 10 minute walk from the old town. We also spent a day in Trogir which is a UNESCO heritage site. Then we took a Catmaran cruise from Split down to Dubrovnik and on our way we stopped in at Korcula and Hvar.

If you plan to come to Croatia expect great/fresh seafood, Italian-like cuisine (pizza, pasta and seafood pasta dishes), lots of stonework architecture and old castles . Dubrovnik is the ideal spot, actually--we prefer it to Split. It looks a bit like something between Nice and Monoca--except nicer and less pretentious. We are staying at the Hotel Durbrovnik Palace.

I head home on the weekend. I hope my cell phone dries out by then so I can post pictures of Dubrovnik. It seems to have died after a couple drops of drinking water got into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment