Tuesday 17 November 2015

Price on Request



Apparently, you can take silicone, put it in a container, add mineral spirits, stir it up until it turns into a "slurry" to form a not-so-runny liquid-like substance. You can then paint the liquid onto nylon with a brush to get a taut outcome.  I suppose prior to the drying of the nylon it is pliable enough for an artist to massage, mold and form into something mesmerizing. I think this is what the artist Michael Eden has done.



I went on the hunt over the weekend to find some unusual contemporary art.  I like that the works that I found used unusual methods---that is to say, science was used to create art.





I do love collecting vessels. I have said so on the blog before. I also love ceramics


But I simply dread them breaking. And so I think that the artist Hiroshi Suzuki seems to have proffered a scientific solution to my problem while maintaining the necessary textural, pretty, sinuous, curvaceousness you would want in a good contemporary piece of pottery.



Suzuki's method is to hammer-raise and chase enameled silver. 

You love it don't you? Clever, yes? The question is what does it cost? Do you get the feeling that when the sticker reads "price upon request" what the seller really wants to tell you is "don't worry you can't afford it"?

All these beautiful vessels and vessel-like objects are at Adrian Sassoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment